Yesterday I felt inspired to try a new recipe out. I went to pinterest to see if I could be inspired by a recipe and I stumbled across a recipe for chicken and black beans stuffed sweet potatoes. It looked so mouth-watering that I had to try it.
Now to preface, I always have skepticism going into a recipe from a blog because I find that sometimes the blogger doesn’t mention that the sweet potato is piping hot when you try to cut a slit in it, or that the inside might not cook fully and you’ll end up microwaving it for 10 minutes because you’re just desperate and hangry at that point.
My husband Justy is on the other spectrum of me when it comes to patience, so although I was getting frustrated and ready to just eat the black bean and chicken mixture on its own, he kept reassuring me that we could make it work. Alas, it worked! Dinner ended up being at 9pm rather than 7:30, but it was totally worth it.
So if you’re looking for a flavorful meal that has a good source of vitamin A, protein,fiber, and other nutrients, this is the meal to try out! Below I’ve put the recipe I ended up doing and the instructions that worked best for me.
Serving for 2, prep time about 25 min, cook time 1 hour (yikes, sorry)
-4 pieces of chicken tenderloin
-2 sweet potatoes
-1 bell pepper
-1/2 red onion
-1 can of seasoned black beans
-2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, as well as thaw frozen chicken tenderloins. I run them under cold water. This is important because warm water can cause bacteria growth.
- Place the two sweet potatoes on a baking pan and coat them with olive oil. When oven is preheated, place them in the oven and set a timer for 30 minutes.
- Next, I prepped the stuffing mixture by chopping up the red onions, put a little bit of minced garlic and added a 2 tbsp of olive oil in the pan to saute them until they were brown. While waiting for them to brown, I diced up 1 whole green bellpepper. I added them in after the onions had browned and let those cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Then, I took a can of seasoned black beans and drained the beans. I poured them in a mixing bowl and added 2/3 cup of mozzarella cheese. I also added in the onions and bell pepper and added seasoning for extra flavor such as salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
- Proceed to dice up chicken into small pieces and sautee them in a pan with olive oil. I added similar seasonings as the beans and onions, but also added paprika. Once the chicken is fully cooked let them sit for a few minutes and then mix together with the rest of the mixture.
- When the sweet potatoes are soft and you stick a fork through them, take them out and cut a slit right down the middle. Use a fork to mash the inside and create a space to put the mixture in. Scoop as much of the mixture in it and place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Voila! The delicious meal is ready to go. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.